Worship and fellowship have been an integral part of the Cedar Grove community since the earliest settlers. In 1853 a group wishing to establish a Reformed Church began meeting informally, and in 1856 it was officially registered. The first church building was made of logs, but funds for a second church building were quickly raised and a new building was built.
A third building, finished in 1865, served the church's needs - with the addition of a chapel in 1893 - until plans were made for a new building in 1905. In 1875, Rev. Herman Bogers had encouraged the elimination of the partition between the "men" side and the "women and children" side in the sanctuary, and so the church progressed with the times into the 20th century.
The sanctuary built in 1905 at a cost of $13,468 is the structure still in use every Sunday for worship. The bell, still used to call the town to worship each Sunday, was purchased in 1883. At the time it was hung in the previous building and was later hung in the current building.
Over the years, the First Reformed Church of Cedar Grove has sent a number of its members into missionary service around the globe. One such missionary family, the Steinkraus family serving in New Guinea in 1971, was buried in a landslide and are remembered by a memorial stone erected in the cemetary. Another missionary, Dr. Edwin Koeppe, was held prisoner by Chinese communists in 1942 and again by the Japanese as they moved across China.
Mission work and Christian service continue to be a high priority at First Reformed Church of Cedar Grove. Our current pastor and the consistory encourage all who attend the church to be the hands and feet of Jesus, fully open to the Spirit's flow through us in Christ to our families, coworkers, neighbors, friends, and into the uttermost parts of the earth.